Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox 0.12.4 released

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 07:57:14PM +0300, Frank Durden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Newb question here, I tried to compile and run version 0.12.4 and I get the
> following:
>
> rhythmbox: symbol lookup error: rhythmbox: undefined symbol:
> egg_set_desktop_file
>
> I did a configure, make, make install and I have a standard Ubuntu 9.04 on a
> MacBook 5,1, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic. Any help on how to fix this would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is probably what happens when you install your build in /usr/local
and leave the Ubuntu package installed.  When you try to run your build,
it'll pick up libraries from the packaged version, which usually won't
work.  I'd suggest using a different install location, such as
$HOME/local/rhythmbox, which you can do by passing the
--prefix=<location> argument to ./configure.

Alternatively, you could use the packages from my PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~jmatthew/+archive/ppa which generally keeps up
with releases and sometimes has prereleases.  This will replace the
Ubuntu package version.