[Rhythmbox-devel] [OT] Last.fm API (was 0.12.1 prerelease)

Hi everybody!

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan d14n org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 01:53:32PM +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> What about new last.fm policy for radio? It seems there is a new API too..

I just had a quick look at the new API documentation
(http://www.last.fm/api/radio) and it appears that while the overall
scheme is the same, the API methods have all changed and there's a new
(overly complicated) authentication scheme.  The current code still
seems to work for now, though I assume it will suddenly stop one day
soon.

I don't think I will implement the new API myself.  I can no longer use
the service (and I never used it much anyway), and there's no real technical
interest for me any more.

It shouldn't be too hard for someone interested to pick this up.  I
expect most of the work would be in implementing the authentication
scheme.  Once that's done, the changes to the web service requests look
to be straightforward.

Thank you Jonathan for your valuable work!

Do you think that changes in Last.fm API will include not only radio streaming but also data song collection (sending metadata on Last.fm server)?

Loose all such information would be really a pity to me (I've sent more than 28.000 songs to Last.fm through Rb, since 2006...)! Unfortunally I'm not good at all with coding issues, and I can also encourage who can to still support this feature.

enjoy, ;)
giopas