Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [ANN] Rhythmbox plugin for pitch and tempo control

> Willem van Engen wrote:
>> I'd like to announce the first release of a Rhythmbox plugin that allows
>> the independent control of tempo and pitch during playback. I was glad
>> to find that almost all things I wanted were supported by Rhythmbox's
>> plugin architecture, thanks!

Thanks to you Willem! It's a very nice idea and work that adds another
amazing plugin to rhythmbox!

>> The source code can be found at:
>>   http://willem.engen.nl/projects/musictools/
>
> Very cool! I'm thinking of using echonest's analysis data to have smooth
> automatic beatmatching and mixing of songs, and this is an excellent
> first step to achieving that! I'll be sure to look into it, and the the
> scaletempo libraries!

Eric, that would be a really nice project too!

> When I install the plugin, however, I get:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/eric/.gnome2/rhythmbox/plugins/scaletempo/__init__.py",
> line 127, in activate
>     self.scaler.activate(shell.get_player().get_property('player'))
>   File "/home/eric/.gnome2/rhythmbox/plugins/scaletempo/__init__.py",
> line 86, in activate
>     self.gstelement = gst.element_factory_make('pitch', 'pitch0')
> gst.ElementNotFoundError: pitch
>
> I *do* have gstreamer-plugins-bad installed, but maybe Ubuntu Hardy has
> a version that is too old?

No problem for me instead. I run rhythmbox 0.11.6 on Debian SID and I've
installed the following packages:

> $ dpkg -l "gstreamer*" | grep ^ii | awk '{ print $1" "$2 }'
> ii gstreamer0.10-alsa
> ii gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
> ii gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs
> ii gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
> ii gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
> ii gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> ii gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
> ii gstreamer0.10-tools
> ii gstreamer0.10-x

enjoy, ;)
giopas

- --
"The paradigm of competition is a race: by
rewarding the winner, we encourage everyone
to run faster. When capitalism really works
this way, it does a good job; but its defenders
are wrong in assuming it always works this way.
If the runners forget why the reward is offered
and become intent on winning, no matter how, they
may find other strategies--such as, attacking
other runners. If the runners get into a fist
fight, they will all finish late."
(GNU manifesto/R. Stallman)