Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Writing m4a tags

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 01:46:18PM +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 05:34:51PM -0400, Ryan Hughes wrote:
> > Hi.  When I use rhythmbox, I don't seem to be able to write tags in m4a
> > files.  I'm trying to look up information about this, but the
> > signal/noise ratio is very low.  I'm seeing posts from 2005 about reading
> > tags, I'm seeing posts about not being able to play m4a files at all.
> > I'm seeing things about taglib, easytag, and faad.  I'm seeing things
> > about amarok.
> >
> > So I'd like to get the answers straight from the horse's mouth:
> >
> > What's the deal with writing m4a tags in rhythmbox?

[...]
> The rhythmbox side of things is pretty simple.  I've just put together a
> patch that should do it, and once I've done some basic testing I'll
> commit it.

I've committed it, but anyone wanting to try it out should be aware
that m4a files edited in rhythmbox won't play in itunes, and I assume
won't play on ipods either.  I have no idea if this is a problem in
qtmux or something I'm doing wrong, but maybe someone who has more than
ten m4a files will spend the time to figure it out.  I'm not
particularly worried about this as the only people who have qtmux at the
moment are those going out of their way to test it.  Nothing has changed
for those who don't have qtmux installed.