[Rhythmbox-devel] Writing m4a tags

Hi. When I use rhythmbox, I don't seem to be able to write tags in m4a files. I'm trying to look up information about this, but the signal/noise ratio is very low. I'm seeing posts from 2005 about reading tags, I'm seeing posts about not being able to play m4a files at all. I'm seeing things about taglib, easytag, and faad. I'm seeing things about amarok.

So I'd like to get the answers straight from the horse's mouth:

What's the deal with writing m4a tags in rhythmbox?

I once heard a rumor that it is possible to do, but the version of product-Z that is distributed with ubuntu does not have it compiled in due to patent restrictions or something, and that all I'd have to do is recompile product-Z. If only I could remember what product-Z was, I could get to the bottom of this. Taglib? Easytag? faad?

Or, if that rumor is not true, I would like to help out whatever project it is that rhythmbox uses, to get this accomplished more quickly. There's legends that GPL'ed tag-writing code is available on the web, so if it's just a matter of grabbing it from one project and integrating it with another, I can do that.

Okay, thanks.

--Ryan