Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Cross fading back end.

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Chris Norman <chris norman4 ntlworld com> wrote:
Just out of interest, what results have people had with the crossfading
back end?

I tried it on ubuntu 6.10 up to my current 7.10, and I've always had
problems with it.

I find that the playback buffers a lot, maybe a half a second playback,
followed by half a second silence indefinately, and my system slows down
when using, this is especially when playing m4a files.

I haven't had that problem, but I've had problems with playback for all intents and purposes "stopping" at the end of a track. Jonathan has mentioned in the past that it has to do with ALSA's dmix or something, but I haven't been able to get any further than that in terms of tracking it down.

Generally though, the developers seem to recognize that it has its minor/sporadic/etc. bugs.