Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] jump-to-playing plugin
- From: "Steven Brown" <steven w j brown gmail com>
- To: giopas <linux giopas eu>
- Cc: Rhythmbox-devel list <rhythmbox-devel gnome org>
- Subject: Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] jump-to-playing plugin
- Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:07:30 -0800
Glad to hear it's being used! :)
Of course, I'd be tickled if it went into the core, but I don't believe it's quite ready for that. This is pretty new territory for me (gtk, python, gconf, etc), so it is likely quite sloppy under the hood and implemented in odd ways. Peer review is definitely required. Some concerns from the top of my head:
* the gconf keys in gconf-editor say they have no schema. I haven't looked into what that means... but other plugins' keys have a schema and don't give a warning... so it can't be good.
* it currently adds/removes the ui string when the options are toggled in the configure dialog. I have a feeling it might be better to only add/remove them in the activation/deactivation, and just hide/show here. Faster maybe.
* it currently hides the browser button in small display mode. That has nothing to do with the jump-to-playing button. *That* should be in core.
* to hide the buttons in the small display, it checks the value at activation, and it connects to the View menu's toggleButton's "toggled" signal. So whenever it's toggled, the gconf value for the small display mode is checked, but I think there's a delay sometimes. Pushing Ctrl D quickly a few times may result in incorrect UI presented.
* in the context menus, 'properties' should really be the last item. They need a placeholder, I guess.
* also, placeholders should not be displayed if they are empty. This would prevent a seperator from displaying between a button and an empty placeholder.
I guess there's a few bugs in RB in that list I should file....
On Jan 13, 2008 10:32 AM, giopas <linux giopas eu
Steven Brown ha scritto:
> rhythmbox-devel mailing list
> rhythmbox-devel gnome org
I'm already using it since the first release. :)
Now, since I think it's quite mature ( :D ) it could maybe be put in
rhythmbox core sources... I would not see any problem if you agree and
rhythmbox team too...
"The paradigm of competition is a race: by
rewarding the winner, we encourage everyone
to run faster. When capitalism really works
this way, it does a good job; but its defenders
are wrong in assuming it always works this way.
If the runners forget why the reward is offered
and become intent on winning, no matter how, they
may find other strategies--such as, attacking
other runners. If the runners get into a fist
fight, they will all finish late."
(GNU manifesto/R. Stallman)
rhythmbox-devel mailing list
rhythmbox-devel gnome org
] [Thread Prev