Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Questions regarding DAAP library split

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:51 AM, W. Michael Petullo <mike flyn org> wrote:
> I am very interested in finding a C DAAP/DPAP library and have some
> questions about the code in Rhythmbox.
Cool

> 1. The DAAP code was already once pulled out of Rhythmbox to create
> libdmapsharing [1]. However, this project seems to have stalled in the last
> two years. Is this project dead? If so, did the project die because the
> Canola media player now supports UPnP instead of DMAP?
So, here it goes a little bit of the history of the project. I started
libdmapsharing when I was working with Canola 1, and we had a
requirement to support DAAP and possibly DPAP. The project didn't die
because Canola changed to UPnP. Actually Canola always supported UPnP,
even when DMAP was supported. The thing is, there were some problems
regarding new changes on DAAP protocol auth, so libdmapsharing
wouldn't work with newest versions of iTunes and so. So they (the
managers) decided to remove the DMAP support on Canola.

> 2. Did anything come of the LGPL / GPL issue mentioned at [2]? Was Canola
> shipped in breach of the GPL? Is this why Canola 1 does not seem to be
> available anymore? Would it be possible to get the approval of the remaining
> contributors to relicense the code as LGPL? For the record, leaving it GPL
> is fine for my near-term work, but it would be nice to have an LGPL
> implementation available.
If I remember correctly the code is already LGPL, as I have asked
permission to relicense the parts of the code that were using
rhythmbox code from the rhythmbox developers, maybe I forgot to change
something

> 3. Is the rhythmbox project still interested in pulling its DAAP code into a
> separate library if this library is maintained?
>
> 4. Who wrote the DMAP/DPAP code for libdmapsharing? As far as I can tell by
> looking as the two projects' RCS's, Andre wrote the DMAP/DPAP-specific code
> and added it to the base he got from rhythmbox. However, the license on the
> code mentions Charles Schmidt.
I've wrote libdmapsharing, some parts of the code are based on code
from rhythmbox DAAP support, so maybe that's why you see Charles
Schmidt mentioned on the copyright notices

> 5. Has anyone looked at adding the server side to libdmapsharing?
Not that I know of

BR

--
Andre Moreira Magalhaes (andrunko)