Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] force transcode to change bitrate for mobile devices

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:57:17AM +0300, ikke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't find answer to this from bugzilla, mailing list or google...
> How to force mp3 bitrate change when copying stuff to memory stick /
> usb player?
>
> I got it done if I used the .is_audio_player -file and specified the
> device as ogg player. But if I specified it as mpeg -device, it just
> copies the mp3, not changing the bitrate. Even I changed the import
> format in preferences to have gstreamer do 128 bitrate mp3.
>
> Any hints how to do this? The problem is that some of my music is with
> higher bitrate since I listen them through home stereos, but mobile
> devices have limited space and sound quality anyway... and I would
> like to use rb to control all these, since it's a good app otherwise.
>
> If you find it reasonable, I could make an bug report for it as an
> enhancement, but I would like to know if there is already a way I just
> didn't find.

There is no way to do this currently.  Please file a bug.

We won't actually be able to fix this properly with the current set of device
information and encoding profile system, though, as there's no information
about bitrates or (to bring in another similar issue) supported tag formats.
Either no mp3 files will be re-encoded, or all of them will be.