Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox-client do not work

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 08:22:11PM +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I'm trying to use remote control with RB but I'm failing. I have desktop
> computer where I log into X, start RB and it plays. I primarly use my laptop
> from bed.
>   Sometimes I want to skip song. When I SSH into desktop I can't control RB:
>
> % rhythmbox-client --next
>
> (rhythmbox-client:19961): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Failed to execute
> dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session

rhythmbox-client communicates with rhythmbox using the dbus session bus,
so you need to make sure the client process has the same
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable as the rhythmbox process.

> Strace shows following piece:
>
> [pid 19937] write(2, "Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.\n", 45) = 45
>
> How to fix this? And why X11 is needed by command line program?

It does not use X11.  That must be part of dbus's attempts at starting a
session bus when DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set.