Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] on notification area on close !

On Monday, 28 May 2007 09:18, Jens Rantil wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 08:50 +1000, James "Doc" Livingston wrote:
> > Pretty much everyone agrees that there should be a guideline, and that
> > all apps should follow it. Unfortunately there is absolutely no
> > agreement on whether the guideline should say "apps should minimise to
> > tray icon" or "apps should always quit". From memory, it's somewhere
> > around a 50/50 split of both users and developers.
>
> How about adding the option "Minimize to tray" in Rhythmbox preferences?
> I've seen many GUI's doing this. Since I am not a developer I don't know
> if this interferes with the HIG or not.

How about going a step further? It's obviously a problem regarding not only RB
but also a lot of other apps. How about laying aside all grudges and make a
global GNOME preference saying "apps that have a system tray icon should
minimize to it when closed instead of quitting" that you could set or unset.
It would be neatly tuckes away in your global gconf and the app could decide
on its own default when the entry is not present - or better still, ask the
user what to put in gconf!

that would reduce the problem to not having to find a standard practise, but
rather a standard place to look for what the USER wants - everyone wins, as
long as you're not accidentally closing RB at your friend's party who uses it
differently from you... ;)

my 2c,
7<arsten

--
It's not enough to be able to pick up a sword. You have to know which end to
poke into the enemy.