Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Playing Internet radio feeds

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 07:47:47PM +1100, Peter Anderson wrote:
> Hi!  I am relatively new to Linux and am trying to get Rhythmbox to play
> some favourite radio stations.  They can be reached via
> www.abc.net.au/radio and have options for Windows media, Real Player and
> some have MP3.  File formats are .asx and .ram
>
> Can these be processed by Rhythmbox?

The MP3 streams will work if you have a GStreamer MP3 decoder plugin
installed.  Some of them give HTTP 404 errors, but hopefully those are
just temporary failures.  I'd suggest you use the MP3 streams wherever
possible since they're the most common type of stream and it's pretty
easy to install an MP3 decoder plugin on most linux distributions.

The Windows Media streams might work if you have a GStreamer mms and
windows media decoder plugins installed (ffmpeg or maybe pitfdll + win32
codecs).  They don't seem to play properly for me, though.

The Real Player streams won't work until GStreamer's RTSP support
matures.