Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Fwd: Rhythmbox Quickstarter

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 23:38 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 14:41 +0200, Lionel Dricot wrote:
> > I just received this on ubuntu-devel list. I tried it and it works
> > great ! My RB starts 3 or  -4 times fasters after running this script.
>
> I really can't see how optimising the XML file (!) would help when most
> of the startup time is spent stat'ing entries in this database.
>
> I don't even see what this script is supposed to do apart from mangling
> the .xml. And if parsing the XML file was that slow, surely, we'd all be
> bugging Daniel to fix it up.

Profiling with a warm disc cache doesn't show the time spent parsing XML
as significant. If the OP is using 0.9.3 from dapper, than startup time
will be mostly affected by things we've fixed, and things we can't fix

The script also makes the xml a little bit smaller, but I doubt that the
small amount of extra IO affects cold-cache startup time. If pulling the
xml file from disc is affecting our startup time, than gzipping it or
something is probably better.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Not only does the English Language borrow words from other languages, it
sometimes chases them down dark alleys, hits them over the head, and