[Rhythmbox-devel] Fwd: Rhythmbox Quickstarter

I just received this on ubuntu-devel list. I tried it and it works
great ! My RB starts 3 or  -4 times fasters after running this script.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joel Bryan T. Juliano <joelbryan juliano gmail com>
Date: May 10, 2006 1:55 PM
Subject: Rhythmbox Quickstarter
To: Ubuntu Philippines <ubuntu-ph lists ubuntu com>, Ubuntu Devel
<ubuntu-devel lists ubuntu com>, Ubuntu MOTU
<ubuntu-motu lists ubuntu com>, Ubuntu Desktop
<ubuntu-desktop lists ubuntu com>, Ubuntu Users
<ubuntu-users lists ubuntu com>

Hi, I made a simple script to quickstart rhythmbox by optimizing it's XML database.

The script is just a basic optimizer for XML & HTML.
It can be used to any HTML & XML files.

I restart the system to check the difference of
non-optimized and optimized database.

I have 7814 songs, and The difference is when it's non-optimized,
rhythmbox will start loading the songs, counting 2 digits, (i.e. 40, 46,
49....7814) for 30 seconds or so, but when it's optimized, the counting
will skip to 3 digits to 4 digits in just seconds, (i.e. 146, 300,
615....7814), and rhythmbox starts much faster.

Rhythmbox will reformat the XML, so the script will be needed to run
again. I think it's good to run the script at startup because once
rhythmbox had been loaded, it'll be much faster, for both optimized and
non-optimized, so re-running the script is a good idea when the cached
memory had been cleared.

a backup of your current databases will be created (rhythmdb_backup.xml,
playlists_backup.xml), so just copy it to the rhythmdb.xml.

The databases are in $HOME/.gnome2/rhythmbox/ directory.

The script is attached in this message, (rhythmbox-quickstart)

JB

--
Joel Bryan T. Juliano <joelbryan juliano gmail com>