Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Why I'll Probably Always Use amaroK

Andrei Thorp wrote:
Hello.
1) (Most Important) amaroK is a very attractive program. [..]

Ironically that's why I like Rhythmbox. I really don't like the way other players feel the need to support theming, and other stupidities like it. You find Rhythmbox ugly ? I find it so cute in my desktop, it has the same skin as every other app I use.

What I basically want is a music player, nothing more, nothing less.

2) Although Rythmbox is easy to use and quite complete with features, it does something very smart: it doesn't show them all when they won't be needed... amaroK does, and that really shows how powerful it is. Maybe a fault, maybe a bonus. Example: music devices. On amaroK there is always a tab for it, on Rhythmbox, it shows up when needed. The interface is so nice and clean that it looks like the program isn't done. I know this is finicky, but that's my impression.

Same kind of remarks as before. Why bother of having a iPod icon everytime ? I don't even have one !

Aside from that, Rhythmbox is great. It's faster than anything and it works really well. I think that with a bit of flashyness and without the 14 mile track bar for where in the song you are, it would be absolutely great. Good work, I hope that it'll keep it's good stuff while picking up the other good stuff of other players.

I agree that the track bar is a bit long. Besides, maybe you'll be able to implement your flashing things using plugins, but I'd really like rhythmbox to remain as it is: a simple yet powerful, gnome-looking app, and extensibility and special features can be added through plugins like epiphany (simple yet powerful browser) and gedit (simple yet powerful text editor) do.

My 2¢

--
Steve
http://tw.apinc.org