[Rhythmbox-devel] My Suggestions for Rhythmbox, pt2

Hey, some more suggestions...

It's very true that it's a powerful, fast music player (3 seconds to start? Nearly unbelievable for such a powerful program.) that does exactly what it's supposed to. I also agree that it's very important that your player should fit in with your desktop rather than having to treat it individually, like I do with Firefox. I also wish that amaroK was GTK, because then it would be the best thing possible. Also, yes, amaroK is cluttered, but stuff like the lyrics grabber and the wikipedia article grabber really makes it feel like amaroK can do everything that you want it to when it comes to music.

But can you disagree that nice, functional stuff like the cover art manager that amaroK has doesn't make it better? When a song comes on in a randomized playlist, and amaroK pops-up a window for that song, I can tell what band it it immediately from the image, and not only that, but the image also makes the window look better.

Another slightly flashy thing, but again something I prefer is that when you que a song, a little rounded off graphic appears by the song, rather than moving that song to what feels like a different playlist.

Another thing that fits into flashyness, is amaroK's cross-fading. Whenever the song changes, it fades out and another fades in. This is extremely cool, I think. Even when the program (amaroK) closes, the song fades out.

The reason that I bring up these issues is that I love Gnome over KDE, and think that Rhythmbox is the best thing that Gnome's got just now for a music player. I would, following this logic, much prefer to use a Gnome app over a KDE app (amaroK is the only reason that I have those KDE libraries installed, now that Gnome has GnomeBaker which is as good as K3B).

Again, there is no one that I want to offend in the OSS community. I just want to be heard when it comes to my ideas, because if I'm one person that thinks this way, what's the chance that there aren't a bunch more?

Note: I'm not suggesting that you defy the gnome HIG (I don't quite know the Gnome HIG that well...), and I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't fit into Gnome, or that you should look like amaroK. I'm suggesting that you should keep the usability of Rhythmbox (which is really, really high - good work), but at the same time give it style and a sexy look. Think about F-Spot, or Beagle, or Thunderbird, or OpenOffice. All those programs are very usable, very powerful, and at the same time stylish in the sense that they do deviate from the standard Gnome pieces a bit, but have a cool look to them. F-Spot has the nice pictures (well... that's an unfair comparison, I guess) but the pictures do this little zoom thing that helps with the usability but also looks cool. Beagle (the new one) when you start it, it has a bunch of nice colours right away (like with the green arrows and the white background, rather than the plain one of Gnome, and the search bar has a little magnifying lens that looks nice and makes it obvious what that bar does, even for illiterate people. Thunderbird has very nice, large, colourful icons for everything, which is why I prefer it, even over Evolution. OpenOffice, maybe isn't a great example, but it does use Gnome looking stuff while in a Gnome environment, who can argue that it's an attractive program? (I don't want to assault your program, but I kind of have to here to make a point) Rhythmbox is pretty plain when it runs. The images are mostly black/grey/very dim colours, and it's missing the kind of polished feel of some programs that do put in the little magnifying glass in the search bar. Personally, I also think that being unique in some ways is a very good thing.

Of course, these are just suggestions that I've given. Maybe a few more colourful graphics here and there wouldn't hurt, eh? Make Rhythmbox stand out more in the crowd. A little bit of style? A nicer icon for the notification applet by RedHat? (I see why you picked the one that you did, but I think that it could show that the thing is a music player, but also look very good while at it.)

But it's easier for me to do this critiquing than it is for the developers. I'm not as attached to the program as you are, so I can see it from a third-person view. If you can do that as well, maybe you will be able to make the program the best thing out there, and the most used. If you disregard my opinions, that's not a problem either. I'll just use SongBird or amaroK for the time being, until something better comes out. But I beg that you do keep my suggestions somewhere in the back of your minds a possibility for some things that you could maybe do. If you care to try this: compare your app with a similar one, like banshee or amaroK or SongBird or iTunes or WMP, and see what's better and what's worse, then make yourself the best.

Visualizations at least?

Keep up the great work, though. I really do think that Rhythmbox is a great program and it's fantastic that you people are working on something like this in the devoted get-back-to-your-e-mail-the-day-after-you-sent-it way.

-Andrei Thorp