Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Response and CPU problems

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 09:46:51PM -0400, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm using 0.9.4.1 on Ubuntu Dapper.  I've been having problems with
> RB's speed and CPU usage during use.  I have about 80G of music
> mounted over NFS on a computer on my LAN whence I play most of my
> music.
>
> Frequently, I'll notice a 1-10 second delay in the UI (i.e. pressing a
> key or highlighting a button takes 10 seconds to respond) and RB using
> about 10% of my (1.8 GHz Pentium M) CPU.

It sounds like this might be something to do with file monitoring.  You
could try disabling file monitoring (the 'watch my library for new
files' option in the library preferences) to see if that's the case.

Getting some strace output might also be helpful.  If you could run
'strace -p `pidof rhythmbox` -o rb-strace' for a few seconds while this
is happening and put the resulting file somewhere (please don't send it
to the whole list) we'd be able to see what was going on.  Output from
'ls -l /proc/`pidof rhythmbox`/fd' might also be required to figure out
what's happening.