Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Audioscrobbler plugin and MBID

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 20:52 +0100, Peter wrote:
> Some people might have the MBID in their mp3 ID3 tags from using some
> analysis program (Picard, MusicTagger etc) so it would a good start if
> rhythmbox could extract this field and pass it to the Audioscrobbler
> plugin.  [Should I file a "little" bug on just this?]
>
> Could the MBID track tag even be included in the database (what about
> the album and artist tags if known?).

That was bug 343491, which just got fixed thanks to a patch from St� Lyngaas.

> Then a plugin could be written to lookup the MBID using the
> track/album/artist tags and record the ID in the database.  It could
> then optionally standardise the artist/album/track names according
> MusicBrainz.

There is also a GStreamer element (trm, currently in -bad) which
generates the id from the audio data. It wouldn't be too hard to make a
plugin that watches for new library additions and generated their id if
they don't have one.

Looking up metadata based on the ID is bug 344462, and updating it
automatically is bug 344461.

> A further option would be to write the MBID (and "corrected"
> track/album/artist names) back into the mp3 ID3 data

Using the existing tag-writing code, this should be fairly easy once the
rest is done.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"25 grams of wafers and 20 ml of wine undergo transubstantiation and
become the flesh and blood of our Lord. How many Joules of heat are