Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] getting latest rythymbox for my ubuntu

On Sat, 2006-04-02 at 17:53 +1100, James Livingston wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 15:17 +0900, Jeff Co wrote:
> > Hello I understand that there is a debian version available of the
> > latest release of rythymbox, but i hear it's not meant for ubuntu
> > users. I also understand that there is  source code available at
> > http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/0.9/rhythmbox-0.9.3.tar.gz. So how can i install sourcecode? I'm a newbie, used to point-and-doubleclick for running things. please advise.
>
> The latest version is already in Dapper (the development version of
> Ubuntu). Assuming that you are using Breezy (5.10), probably the easiest
> way to get it is to wait until the Ubuntu Backports project make a
> package. The thread about it is at
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=124785.
>

> Alternately you may find some other people that have created packages,
> or you could compile it from source yourself.

If you want to compile it, it's actually pretty simple. First, download
the .tar.gz file. Extract it to a folder somewhere (the default location
that the archive manager extracts to is /tmp. You may want to change
this). Go to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal. Type:

cd /tmp/rhythmbox-0.9.3 (or wherever you put it)
./configure (if it complains about dependency problems, you might need
to install other packages)
make
sudo make install

And that should be it.

--
Adam Zimmerman <adam_zimmerman sfu ca>

CREATIVITY  - http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/movingimages/Building_on_the_Past.mpg
ALWAYS      - http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/
BUILDS      - http://www.theopencd.org/
ON THE PAST - http://free-culture.org/freecontent/
--

 Why won't sharks eat lawyers?   Professional courtesy.