Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] no fun with rhytmbox

k> hello devs, i'm very disappointed of rhytmbox. i was searching for
k> an alternative to amarok and i tried rhytmbox again. from an older
k> installation of my ubuntu there was a old configuration file for rb
k> with an old folder to scan by rb.  after starting, rb immediately
k> started scanning, WITHOUT asking me (i was working at this
k> time). ubuntu froze almost, i couldn't even violently stop the
k> process and i couldn't change the library-folder!  after a few
k> minutes of anger ubuntu was completely frozen - i could only switch
k> off the pc. that did never happen, since i used ubuntu (dapper,
k> edgy) for the last 9 month!

k> WHY hurts rb very principal rules: - not doing important things
k> (with high cpu-load) without permission of the user?  - ever give
k> the possibility to stop such processes

What version of rhythmbox are you using?  Using a old (especially
fairly old) configuration file is always a potential problem in any
application (not just rhythmbox).  Starting from a clean setup is
always safer especially if you haven't upgraded in several releases.
Just: "mv ~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/ my-old-rhythmbox-config" or somesuch.

Of course, in an ideal world, upgrades would never cause problems,
but given:

1) possible versions of rhythmbox that a user might have;
2) different version of a distro;
3) bugs present in old versions that have been fixed in newer versions
   that the distro hasn't got around to upgrading to (hint, hint Fedora
   Core maintainer);

it's bound to happen now and then.  The best thing is to file a bug
with as much detailed information as possible so it doesn't happen in
future versions.  (Of course this can't always guard against problems
in any given versions because of (3)).

Alex