Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Adding support for new device (Sony W810i )

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 17:36 +0300, Emilian Bold wrote:
> I have a Sony Ericsson W810i mobile which has some mp3 player functionality.
>
> Is there something I could help with in order to be able to sync the
> podcasts from Rhythmbox with the phone (card) ?
>
> I've read in some previous emails that I have to find out some FDI
> using the hal device manager. Anything else ?
>
> I'm willing to experiment with the phone and Rhythmbox on my Ubuntu
> 6.06 system so any help will be apreciated.
>
> I'm not sure about the player lists but all I have to do so far is
> copy the mp3 files in a MP3/ folder on the Phone Card. List generation
> will also be nice although I might need a plugin for that.

If it just needs them put in the right place (e.g. no database like
iPods have), then out "generic player" support will work if the FDI
files are set up right (once we get generic player sync anyway).

The FDI files also contain information about playlists, although for
some player I think there is some vital information the FDI files don't
know.

If Rhythmbox reads the playlists off you device now, it should be able
to write them once we generic player playlist writing done.

> Speaking of which: is there a documentation about the python bindings
> available ? A short tutorial would also help.

Unfortunately there are any tutorials yet, I've been meaning to write
one, but never quite gotten around to it. The best idea at the moment
tends to be coming onto the irc channel (#rhythmbox in irc.gimp.net) and
asking, or posting here. We've happy to help, and if no-one answers on
irc try again in a few hours, it might be the wrong time of day for
us ;)

If you build rhythmbox from source you can pass --enable-gtk-doc to
configure, which will build (incomplete) documentation of the C api, and
the Python api is very similar. It's certainly not a replacement for a
real tutorial, but can help if you want to know what something does.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"I run Linux on pretty much everything except the microwave and washing
machine. Those are tempting targets but would probably make Tesla