Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] DAAP songs and playlists

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 10:34:25PM -0400, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On 8/1/06, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan kaolin wh9 net> wrote:
> > - Sources (except the play queue) only accept entries of one type, and
> >   for playlists, that's the local song type.  It'd be fairly easy to
> >   modify the playlist source class so it would accept other types.
>
> Playlists do come over in a DAAP share, so is there any way to create
> a playlist on the other side (besides doing it on the serving side)?
> I suppose not, but I guess it's worth asking.

No, DAAP is read-only.  We could extend the protocol to allow playlist
modification, adding songs, etc., but that'd require support from other
DAAP software to be useful, and the authorization aspects of it would be
.. interesting.

Another option would be to store local playlists associated with DAAP
shares, rather than mixing local files and files from DAAP shares in the
same playlist.  This would be slightly easier, as it wouldn't involve
trying to connect to DAAP shares on startup - the playlists would only
be shown once you connect to the share manually.