Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] DAAP songs and playlists

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 11:26:28PM +0200, Christophe Dehais wrote:
> Hi list !
>
> Why isn't it possible to put a DAAP served song in a playlist ? I mean, they
> can be put in the Play Queue...
>
> Well maybe it's two different problems but I'm a bit confused. All my music
> being over DAAP, I lost the whole playlist feature. I hope I add time to try
> and improve RB on this.

There are two reasons:

- Sources (except the play queue) only accept entries of one type, and
  for playlists, that's the local song type.  It'd be fairly easy to
  modify the playlist source class so it would accept other types.
  This wouldn't get you very far, though, because:

- We can't save DAAP entries to the playlist file.  It would take some
  fairly involved hacking to fix this.  We'd need a way to transform the
  DAAP entry URIs, which currently look like this (from memory):

    daap://<ip-address>:<port>/databases/1/items/3462.mp3?<session-id>

  The persistant format would need to be based on the share name, rather
  than ip:port, otherwise you'd lose your playlists if the DAAP server
  got a different IP address or picked a different port number.  We'd
  then need some way to initiate the DAAP connection on startup.