Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Post 0.9.4 UI stuff

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 18:12 -0500, James Kern wrote:
> I'd also really like to see this added, since it would be great to be
> able to choose the other play orders. One thing I'm wondering about
> though is how the UI would show what play order is selected. It seems
> obtrusive to have to click on a icon to see a menu that will tell
> you, or even worse go into a submenu to find out.

That's the big thing that you lose with the current version of the
patch: the ability to see what the play order is with a glance.

> I'm not sure what way there is around this though because it would
> probably be impossible to come up with sufficiently informative icons
> to display.

I think it would be hard to come up with meaningful icons to
differentiate "shuffle", "random", "random-by-age", "random-by-rating"
and "random-by-age-and-rating"; and it will get much harder if more play
orders are added.

> The only other solution I can think of is to switch the icon you had in
> the toolbar into the text of the currently selected play order; see
> http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/8341/rhythmboxplayorder2kn.jpg for
> a mock-up.

That works fine, the only issue is that it takes up a lot more space.

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 03:30 +0200, Martin Jeppesen wrote:
> The statusbar might be the right place for this?

Putting the current play order in the status bar would also work, but
does lead to a disconnect between where it is shown (statubar) and
chosen (toolbar).

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
2*3*3*37 : The Prime Factorization of The Beast