[Rhythmbox-devel] AudioCD patch (was problems with the latest cvs)

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 17:10 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Ahhh! Good point :-) That would be the audio cd patch that I have
> referenced in my .spec file.

Changing "source->priv" to "priv" in offending lines should fix it.

> Soooo looking forward to that and the podcast patch being in CVS. Seem
> to enable and disable them on and off regularly because the build
> changes and breaks with them, although most of the time they complain
> during patching.

I'm planning to do some more work on it when I get the time, probably
over the weekend. There are basically three things that need to be fixed
before I commit it to cvs:

1) Support for non-HAL systems (including everything non-Linux)

The problem here is that the current code works by detecting audio cds
via gnome-vfs "mount" events - and these only get sent for audio cds on
HAL systems. I was wary of polling every few seconds because it could
potentially take power to check for a CD, which wouldn't be good on
laptop batteries. Sound Juicer has a nice way of doing it, which I'm
going to steal: check the status of the drive door every few seconds,
and only poll for a cd on a Opened->Closed transition.

2) fix the player-subtype code

While player-subtype is a nice idea, it's overkill if audio cds are the
only thing using it. With daap not needing it anymore, I'll try to
replace it with something smaller.

3) Metadata (MusicBrainz) lookup

Sometime soonish Ross Burton (SoundJuicer maintainer) is planning to
split the metadata lookup code out into a separate library, that SJ, RB,
Totem and other things can use.

Once the first two are done, there are two choices on what to do until
that library appears:
a) not have metadata lookup in cvs, or
b) put the SJ files in cvs, and remove them once the library appears.

Which option is best, I'm not sure.

Cheers

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have