Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox and MPD

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 09:46 +0000, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> Here is what has sparked my interest.  In my household music primarily
> lives on a central server, which I access with Rhythmbox from various
> computers via NFS or SSH.  My problem has been that unless these
> connections are reliably maintained, Rhythmbox will start purging files
> from its database.  Recent stable versions of Rhythmbox do not even seem
> to support SSH, at least not the gnome-vfs flavor.

Rhythmbox 0.9 shouldn't remove files from the library, instead just
hiding them until they reappear (up to three months, anyway).

The reason that access to non-local gnome-vfs mounts has been disabled,
is that trying to access them may cause a deadlock in Rhythmbox.
Specifically it will occur if accessing the remote files requires user
intervention, such as entering a password or authorising access to the
gnome-keyring. This is a known problem, but it is non-trivial to fix.

> The MPD client-server model seems like an intriguing alternative
> approach.  Unfortunately, the current crop of MPD clients are not
> particularly inspiring, at least not for someone wired for Rhythmbox.
> This leads me to the following question: Would it be possible for one of
> the Rhythmbox "sources" to be an MPD server?  In other words, could
> Rhythmbox provide its current functionality, while operating as an MPD
> client?  Anyone?

I've only a had a quick look over the MPD documentation, but am I
correct in thinking that the server playing the music and the client is
just the UI?

If so, then making a Rhythmbox MPD client would need two things:
1) A source which gets it's contents from the MPD server. As long as the
mpd client libraries are good enough, this shouldn't be too difficult.
2) A MPD playback backend, which sends the name of the track to play to
the server, instead of playing it via gstreamer.

On a related note, it would probably also be possible to write a MPD
server that controls Rhythmbox (via dbus).

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
I love ASR, you have total freedom of speech as long as it's punctuated
correctly. -- Chris Hacking in a.s.r