Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Music sharing

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 17:02 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Alternatively, we could have a UI (or perhaps just GConf keys) for
> > "known music shares" on the internet, which would automatically be
> > populated to the source list on start up, without any Rendezvous voodoo.
> > However, like I said, I don't know that this would work.
>
> I use an ssh://host/dir URL to access one of my music libraries and it works
> well.  The support could be improved, but the files are found and played
> just fine.  Works across firewalls as well (both ways, thanks to the
> well-known static port of ssh).

People have been using something similar for quite some time, using SSL
Tunnels to access their iTunes music across firewalls:
http://potato.xarph.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=373

I'm sure all of this could be scripted quite easily if people really
want to go overboard and share their music over the net.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>