Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Monitoring DAAP usage

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:30:17AM +0100, tk postaccess com wrote:
> As you've probably gathered from Bugzilla, I'm making assiduous use of the
> new DAAP features in Rhythmbox. All in all, they're a pretty good start.
>
> You may have to forgive my ignorance, as I do not have detailed
> knowledge of the workings of Howl/Avahi, but I have something of a
> difficulty with DAAP. Along with many other people, I like to share my
> music collection over DAAP on my local network. Obviously, when clients
> start listening to my music, they use resources on my computer.
>
> Although they don't tend to clobber the machine too much, I wish I could
> find a  way to monitor and (if possible) control how many people are
> connected  at any one time.

You should be able to get a count of the number of active clients using
netstat, counting established connections to the DAAP server port
(usually 3689).  As far as I can tell, idle clients won't consume any
resources at all, as rhythmbox doesn't track client sessions.

The DAAP server code currently reads the whole file into memory in order
to send it to the client.  It really should be fixed so it only reads in
small chunks, but that doesn't look too easy.  Besides that, what other
concerns do you have about resource usage?