Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Watched Directories

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 01:35:57AM +1100, James Livingston wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> After noticing a small problem with watching for changed files the other
> day (bug 316910), I realised how close we were to having proper "Watched
> Directories" done (which is bug 160159).
>

> Attached is a small patch which lets Rhythmbox monitor directories for
> new tracks. However there are several caveats:

I finally got around to trying this.  I accidentally selected
'Filesystem' (file:///) as my library location and so rhythmbox went off
and tried to monitor my entire filesystem, which Did Not Work.  I think
what happened is that gamin ran out of available file descriptors (I'm
not using inotify) and pretty much gave up.  I had to edit the gconf key
manually to recover from this.

A couple of options come to mind:
- refuse to use file:/// as a library location
- accept file:///, but only after a confirmation dialog (ugh)
- don't apply the library location choice until the preferences window
  is closed (also ugh)

It'd be nice if we could get 'file closed' notifications as well
as 'file changed' - as it is, rhythmbox is reading the metadata for
files about 8 times as I copy them into the library, which is
sort of wasteful.  Perhaps instead we could only load modified files
after they've been left alone for a few seconds.