Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [patch] tray icon rework patch

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 03:10:26PM +1100, James Livingston wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 20:18 +0100, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> > I'd like to compare the way this works with Gossip, which I also use a
> > lot and aims to grow into a (IM) service as well.  Gossip is recallable
> > with one click on the tray icon, and I can dismiss it with a single
> > Escape press or click on the tray icon.  The X button is still Close
> > which is fine with me because that always has been Close.  Since there
> > is a keyboard way (Esc) and mouse way (trayicon click) I do not need
> > Close to minimize at all.  I'd prefer the 3 title-bar-buttons to keep
> > doing as they always have done, but still have an easy way to recall and
> > hide RB by keyboard and by mouse.
>
> Currently you can make Rhythmbox minimise-to-tray by:
> a) clicking on the tray icon (or using Hide Window in the context menu)
> b) typing Ctrl-W when it is the focused window (File->Close)

Ok, I didn't know about Ctrl-W. It's a bit icky because every
application seem to meen something different by it (close a tab, quit
the app, close this window, minimize to tray), but this is a more
general problem :)

> and can minimise it normally with the minimise button. Given that there
> are easy ways to minimise it with both the keyboard and mouse, I don't
> think we need to add another way at the expense of removing the easy way
> to quit. Given the number of people opposed to making the close button
> minimise and the other ways of doing it, I think it would be better to
> change it back.

I think so too.  For me, (except for maximize window), the title bar controls
are sort of an override, I only use them when the app is not doing it right
or is in the way.  When RB hangs (or frozen for 5mins, feels about the same
:)), and yes this does still happen when listening to streams days at a row,
that X button is my saviour.

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | email: paul luon net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | JID: paul luon net