Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Edit->Preferences moved to View

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 12:17 +0100, Artem Baguinski wrote:
> On 05/11/05, Martin Jeppesen <d2xdt2 gmail com> wrote:
>
> > I got the idea when I wanted to switch off "Play Count" and I expected
> > it to be in View.
>
> IMHO columns on/off doesnt deserve a dialog at all and should ether
> (a) go to a cotext menu on columns headers or (b) have a tiny button
> with popup menu somewhere close to the columns.

Excluding Evolution, I don't think I've seen another application where
right-clicking on a column header does anything - I wouldn't think of
trying it to show/hide columns.

> (b) is nice because it is more obvious but I can't imagine how to add
> a square to a rectangle (tree view) without eating too much screen
> estate. Hmm... above the scrollbar maybe, but can we get there?

While that would work, I think the original suggestion is better. Have
View->Visible Columns pop up a small window, change the checkboxes, and
then close the window. If we _really_ don't want a window, I guess we
could have View->Columns submenu with toggle items.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Every now and then, Google doesn't throw up what I need so I start
checking Altavista, Yahoo, etc. In almost every single case, I am