Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] How do I turn this off?

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 19:59 -0600, craig wrote:
> Alternatively you may set the RHYTHMBOX_CFLAGS and RHYTHMBOX_LIBS
> environment variables
> to avoid the need to call pkg-config
>
> I thought just maybe you could explain this again in simpler terms.
> I'd like to compile this rather than install a rpm.

pkg-config doesn't have anything to do with building rpms. What it does
it determine where the header and libraries are for Rhythmbox's
dependencies. For example it will determine that to use GTK it needs to
pass "-I/usr/include/gtk-2.0" to the compiler.

Basically you shouldn't have to touch pkg-config, RHYTHMBOX_CFLAGS or
RHYTHMBOX_LIBS.

> Do I edit the < configure > file
> or
> provide arguments for  < configure >
> and
> if arguments to turn off pkg-config what are these arguments.
>
> I've looked at the man < pkg-config > and I 'm just not sure what to
> make of the instructions with regard to compiling this program

You just need to run ./configure, with --prefix=/x/y/z indicating where
you want it to be installed. You can also enable/disable some optional
components with --enable or --with options (these are listed
by ./configure --help).

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"type in (cast) must be scalar; ANSI 3.3.4; page 39, lines 10-11 (I know
you don't care, I'm just trying to annoy you)" -- MPW C error message