Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Release

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:59:49AM +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't want to bother you all or be annoying, but what about the
> release.  People have been hearing about the new features but there are
> still three or more branches.  What are the release goals for the next
> release and what is the status of each goal?

I'm not at all in a position to make any kind of official statement, but
the things I think need to be done before a release are:

- Finish replacing all uses of the GStreamer spider element with other
  more sensible elements.
  Done so far: playback, metadata reading; to come: format conversion,
  possibly MP3 metadata writing?

- Get iradio working properly, including chained ogg streams.
  Mostly done, but requires some GStreamer changes that I still only
  have hacks for.

- Get tag editing working for all important formats.
  I haven't looked at this at all, and I only have a vague idea of what
  kind of state it's in.

- Finish the remote interface.  There are still some operations missing.
  The D-BUS remote interface won't be generally useful for a while, so I
  don't see a need to get that finished.

- Fix regressions from 0.8.  I don't know exactly what's broken, but there
  are various bits of code commented and #ifdef'd out that probably need
  to be reimplemented.  There are probably bug fixes and other changes
  that need to be applied to 0.9.

- Fix as many of the 200+ open bugs as possible.  I count around 70
  fixed, about 40 candidates left (the rest being feature requests,
  "gstreamer choked on my mp3 file", and the too-hard basket)

So there is still a fair bit to do, in my opinion, before anything could
really be called a 0.9 release.

-jonathan