Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Support for organizing by multiple genres per song.

Le mardi 01 mars 2005 à 18:52 -0800, Jonathon Watney a écrit :
>On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 16:43 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 11:21 -0500, John Russell wrote:
>> > This is one of those rare cases where Reply-All is the right way to
>> > go.  I'm not an RB developer so I have no idea how hard this is.
>> > Anyone else know?
>>
>> You guys are looking for the "Smart playlists" which are already
>> implemented. They should be fairly to extend to have additional tests
>> and metadata to filter.
>
>Mmmm, does 'Automatic Playlist' equal Smart Playlist?
>
>If so, it looks like it cannot do what I would like it to do. Not out of
>the box anyway. If I create two playlists, one that lists 'Metal' in the
>genre and another that lists 'Jazz' in the genre both lists do not
>appear to have the songs that have both a jazz and metal genre comment
>defined. (I suppose I could comma delimit genres in one field...)
>
>And the pane views are so much easier to use to be able to filter down
>to certain songs. With the playlist idea I have to manually edit the
>playlist criteria. This involves right clicking and typing where as the
>using the panes just requires clicking. Also using playlists if I just
>want certain albums in a genre I need to create a totally new playlist
>and stuff more criteria in there. With the pane view I just 'click on
>down'.
>
>I would have liked to uninstall the playlist mentality when I
>uninstalled XMMS. ;-)
>
>I hope I am missing something here. Any ideas?

Yes, the panes allow multiple selection but that only permits to OR the
criteria.

Here is my idea of a GUI for quickly selecting things from a database -
a group-sort widget. This is a tree widget with reorderable columns, all
db entries are grouped according to the first criteria, then the
second... When there is only one match, it is displayed as a single
line. Example screenshot:

Album|Artist|Song|Last played||Add column
Les inrockuptibles, une rentrée 2002
	Kelis - Milkshake - Yesterday
	Matthieu Boggaerts - Dom - Today
	I am Kloot - From your favourite sky - Last month
Karma
	Delerium
		Silence - Yesterday
		Koran - Today
	Sarah McLachlan - Silence - Yesterday
Tasty - Kelis
	Milkshake - Yesterday

Songs can appear at different places when they are from many artists.
If I am playing from the inrockuptibles, I can select milkshake, move
the artist column left, and end up browsing Kelis like this:
Artist|Album|Song||Add column
Kelis - Tasty
	Milkshake
	Sugar honey iced tea

Finally, here is how it addresses the original question. To select
tracks both by enigma and by deep forest, you can add another artist
column:
Artist|Artist|Song||Add column
Enigma
	Enigma
	Deep forest
		Hiyahiyahey

I think this is both a powerful and simple interface. The backend can be
a generic database, so maybe the widget could be part of libgnomedb.
I'd like some ideas on how to implement this - I admit writing a gobject
is a bit daunting to me. I don't know yet if one should just write a
tree model, or inherit from the tree view as well.

--
Gabriel