Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Support for organizing by multiple genres per song.

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:22:40 -0500, John Russell <jjrussell gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:32:43 -0800, Jonathon Watney <jon platypus bc ca> wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > Stop me if I am wrong but I read your response as: RB cannot support
> > such a feature because not all (namely id3) tag formats support multiple
> > genre fields.
> >
> > Maybe I was not clear before. Songs would have as many genre references
> > as genre comment fields, no? And formats that do not support multiple
> > genre fields would obviously only have one genre reference.
> >
> > Or maybe I read your reponse wrong. I just do not see how id3
> > limitations come into this if RB can intelligently extract tag fields.
>
> That is an excellent point.
>
> I also found this...
>
> http://smartplaylists.com/comments.php?id=107_0_1_0_C
> http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20030409021945127&title=Smartlist+by+location%2C+please!&pid=0
>
> These discuss using multiple genres if they are separated by commas in
> itunes.  HOwever, it says that itunes just sees them as new genres.
>
> e.g.
>
> Rock
> Hard Rock
> Rock, Hard Rock
>
> are three separate genres, not a hierarchy like I think you want. The
> entire concept of the UI would have to be changed as itunes, the ipod
> and RB all use the drilling down into the genres concept.  You would
> need to add an arbitrary number of levels to that.  And at what point
> would you stop drilling down into genres and start seeing artists?
>
> e.g.
>
> Decend from Rock into Hard Rock.  Now you see all your Hard Rock, but
> not your other just Rock songs.  Would Hard Rock show up on the same
> level as just Rock songs?  I would love to have this work somehow as
> "Classical"  just doesn't cut it for my collection, but I'm not sure
> it can be jammed into the current tools.

Actually, after thinking about this a little more, I guess that
sub-genres are not really necessary and all that you are looking for
is to have a single song be in more than one genre.  Sort of the way
that v-folders work in evolution where a single piece of mail can be
in multiple v-folders and you don't have to have multiple copies of
the same song.  That might be really nice and not require any changes
to the UI as the song would simply appear in more than one genre.
Would this work?

John