Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Create playlist from library selection

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 10:17 +0100, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 15:40 +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> > Unfortunately trying to edit a playlist the the editor can't deal with
> > currently causes RB to throw an assertion and die. I had a patch in my
> > arch branch that fixed this by displaying an error, rather than
> > quitting. I should get around to putting that into cvs.
>
> You imply that this is a problem with RB and not with the patch - does
> that mean the patch will be included?

Personally I think it sound useful, once a couple of issues get worked
out. My first thought on seeing the name "new playlist from selection"
makes me think that it will create a (non-automatic) playlist with the
selected tracks, rather than one from the selected
artists/albums/genres.

The problem I mentioned is a twofold RB problem. The first part is that
when it gets given a playlist it can't handle, it throws and assertion
and dies. This is easy enough to fix, by making it display an "unable to
edit this playlist" error, rather than quitting.

The second (more difficult) part is there are playlists it can't handle
- and I think you should be able to edit any playlist that can be
created in the UI.

One issue is when it contains properties/criteria that the editor
doesn't know about, which can occur if you manually edit the
playlists.xml file, or create a playlist in a new version and then go
back to using an older verion. In either case there is nothing much we
can do about it, so displaying an error is the best I can think of.

Another issue is when the automatic playlist is "complex", that is
neither a simple disjunction (any of the following criteria...) or a
simple conjunction (all of the following criteria). The way to deal with
this is designing a better playlist editor - the hard part is making it
powerful enough to deal with "complex" playlists, but still simple
enough for the average user.

I can think of several different possible UIs for "complex" playlists,
but none of them are easy to use for simple ones. A "complex" playlist
is basically a tree; where conjunctions can contain criteria or
disjunctions and disjunctions can contain criteria or conjunctions.

If anyone can think of a decent UI that can edit both simple and complex
playlists, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who its friends are. -- Kyle Hearn in asr.