Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Create playlist from library selection

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 00:46 +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> Personally I think it sound useful, once a couple of issues get worked
> out. My first thought on seeing the name "new playlist from selection"
> makes me think that it will create a (non-automatic) playlist with the
> selected tracks, rather than one from the selected
> artists/albums/genres.

How about "New Auto-Playlist from Selected Categories".  A bit verbose
but essentially what it is.  Just use the word 'categories' and it
already makes it more obvious.

> The second (more difficult) part is there are playlists it can't handle
> - and I think you should be able to edit any playlist that can be
> created in the UI.

Yes, you should.  However this is useful enough a feature that it should
go in straight away.  Firstly it will act as an impetus to sort the out
the auto-playlist UI and secondly it's not too much of an inconvenience
even if you can't edit it.  It only takes a few seconds to re-select the
categories and create a similar auto-playlist.  It's not a critical and
crippling inability, and quite an unlikely one for people to run into.

> If anyone can think of a decent UI that can edit both simple and complex
> playlists, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Why not go the GtkFileChooser route - i.e. have a simple dialog with
perhaps a UI for a single filter, with an 'advanced' option to expand
the dialog into a more complex UI.

- C