Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: ANN: RhythmboxLIRC -- a program to control Rhythmbox with a remote control

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 17:16 +0200, Fredrik Noring wrote:
> Hi Oliver
>
> fre 2005-07-01 klockan 01:11 -0500 skrev Oliver M. Haynold:
> > RhythmboxLIRC currently takes the opposite approach. It is a silent
> > process which I'm starting as a GNOME session startup program. When it
> > gets a command from the remote, it uses Bonobo Activation to discover an
> > existing Rhythmbox instance or to spawn a new one if there is none. When
> > you press the stop key on the remote, Rhythmbox gets a signal to
> > terminate. When you press play again, a new Rhythmbox instance is spawned.
>
> Just an idea: Would it be possible to simulate the Gnome keyboard
> shortcut events with Lirc? Many Gnome programs including Rhythmbox
> already support these "multimedia keys" (play, pause, stop, next,
> previous etc.).

It wouldn't be too complicated, if it wasn't for the fact that X sucks
in that respect (I already looked at that...).

You would need to find a "free" keycode, assign the keysym to it,
generate the event, and unassign the keysym. Pretty gross all in all,
but certainly possible (and the accessibility layer already does such
horrors).

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Lucas has made a vacuous, boring, pretentious, retroactively destructive
sequel. He has lost the plot. The man is a fool. -- Simon Pegg (on the
Phantom Menace)