Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Inconsistent and unnecessary rounding of ratings

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 06:20:24PM -0600, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 17:35 -0600, Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
> [snipped]
> > But more importantly, why is it necessary to round off ratings in the
> > Bonobo interface anyway?  It should be the client's responsibility to
> > decide whether it wants to see the true rating or a user-friendlier
> > version of it; if it wants the latter, it can round the value itself.
> > It should be a simple matter of changing "long" to "float" in a few
> > places in Rhythmbox.idl (and the corresponding spots in the code).  I
> > can't think of a good reason offhand why this shouldn't be done.
>
>     I'm a big fan of seeing the numbers; the 1-5 rating system is waaay
> to vague for me.  I just have no use for it; a single star is 20%, FCOL.
> I would support a measure to have them removed, but I think some people
> would see the current system as 'friendly' until they got serious about
> it.
>
>     I like the idea...a lot!

Changing the way ratings are presented in the Bonobo bindings, of
course, has no effect on how ratings are presented to the user.  The
change I propose just makes it possible for other programs to get
accurate ratings information.  Exposing a more finely-grained rating to
the user is a separate issue.