Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] MythTV

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 02:02:55PM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 09:45 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> > The idea I had
> > when I came up with splitting it was similar to what you're wanting
> > which is a single database that contains music files for a desktop.
>
> :-(  This falls just short of what I want, which is a rhythmbox database
> for a group of users.  One database of music to which multiple users can
> add to or play from.  The idea that I have 15 copies of the same song on
> a machine just because there are 15 users of that machine (or machines)
> is just silly.

I don't see why you need a shared database to do this, when all you need
is a shared filesystem.  You'd need a shared filesystem anyway, since
rhythmdb just hands out URLs to songs.  The URLs would have to be valid
and accessible for all users on all machines.

In 0.9.3, rhythmbox will scan the library directory on startup and add
any new files, and monitor it to update the database as files are added
and removed.  Maybe I haven't thought this through as much as you have,
but I don't see what else you'd need.