Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] How does auto-rating work?

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 11:27:15PM +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 12:44:12PM +0100, Federico Pelloni wrote:
> > I'm trying to understand how does your auto-rating feature work.
> > I think you intercept whether a song finishes or is skipped and
> > raise/lower the rating value.
> > [...]
>
> Auto-rating was removed from rhythmbox in version 0.9.1 because we
> didn't have a stable rating adjustment algorithm (amongst other
> complaints).

To just give some feedback about it (it may matter or not since it's
not coming back for a while, but...):

It worked fine for me, albeit a bit slow sometimes. The main two issues
I had with it was:
* Once the rating had been manually adjusted, it would stop doing
  auto-rating instead of regarding it as an redefinition of a starting
  point for the auto-rating of that track.
* Sometimes I just wanted to skip the track without "punishing" it
  because I didn't link it, but just because I wasn't in the mood.
  Having two "Next Track" buttons would have been silly though, so
  yeah.. the auto-rating stuff is a hard problem.

Just my 0.02,

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | email: paul luon net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | JID: paul luon net