Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Interface ideas

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 12:09 +0200, Michi wrote:
> On 4/19/05, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan kaolin hn org> wrote:
> > Hmm.. history is just an automatic playlist with time last played < 1
> > day ago.  I guess things might get a bit weird if you start
> > playing songs from it, though.
> Yeah, If you put the "played songs" playlist into the queue... ;-)

Hmmm... that's reminded me of something I noticed a while back about 0.9
- possibly a bug, possibly a feature.

What used to happen was Automatic Playlists were "re-calculated"
whenever anything changed; which meant that if I rated something I was
playing in my 'unrated songs' playlist it would be removed immediately,
and hence stop playing immediately, which was annoying. With 0.9 it
doesn't do that and only re-scans the playlist when you change sources.
This would mean that a history playlist wouldn't be updated while you
were looking at it.

Possible this means we need a "update this playlist whenever anything
changes" flags (I think iTunes may call this a dynamic playlist or
something, maybe). If you could play from the history while it was
updated whenever the song changed it would be... interesting (argh! the
tentacles). I think you should be able to choose a song from the history
to play (i.e. put it in the queue), but you obviously shouldn't be able
to set the history as your current source.

> Putting jokes asike, a static "history" source item which contained
> played songs from all other sources..... ok i'll stop now, someone is
> supposed to say that having the history in the main window would be
> better now, so let's forget about it...

"having the history in the main window would be better". Or not.

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Klein bottle for sale. Inquire within.