Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] autopackage

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 16:13 +0100, Mathrick wrote:
> Dnia 31-10-2004, nie o godzinie 01:12 +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín
> napisał(a):
> > > Does rhythmbox have any plans for using autopackage once it reaches
> > > 1.0 status.  I use Mandrake 10.1 and have many dependency problems
> > > that using autopackage.org would solve.
> >
> > I don't see what gives you autopackage that .rpm or .deb does not solves
> > at the moment. It sounds like the same thing... or perhaps worst, the
> > package dependencies are not bad, they are there so you can be sure that
> > an application will work always, if you try to remove a needed library,
> > the system will warn you that there are installed an application that
> > needs that library.
>
> Umm, are you sure you're talking about autopackage here? Autpackage will
> use native package manager if available, and fallback only for deps not
> found on target platform.

I don't see the point then... If you package all dependencies you will
solve the problem not for rhythmbox but for any other piece of software
out there...

> > I can only imagine your problem if you are trying to install a binary
> > from Redhat into Mandrake or things like that. If that's the case...
> > sorry, but I don't see autopackage as the solution.
>
> Not really, it happens every time your target distro lacks particular
> dependency packaged.

Then, perhaps you should change/upgrade your distro if you want latest
releases...

> > I would be good to
> > see how autopackage handles the installation of a GNOME 2.8 application
> > in a GNOME <= 2.6 environment forgetting the dependencies...
>
> At this stage of development, I think it's supposed to behave good in
> this situation, although that would probably mean installing whole 2.8
> platform...

Then I don't see the point, sorry.

This discussion is going offtopic for rhythmbox's mailing list (my
fault, sorry), and I'm not the kind of people than autopackage has as
target so I don't think I will ever use it but if you want to continue
this conversation, just send me a private mail.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Ubuntu Warty (PowerPC)  => http://www.ubuntulinux.org