Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Generic Media Player Support

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 20:02 -0400, Michael McCabe wrote:

> 1)  We write one, generic media player source that is fed by multiple
> gnome-vfs backends.  Each media player gets its own gnome-vfs module and
> feeds the pertinent info to the single media player source living in
> rhythmbox.

Generally I think writing a gnome-vfs backend is not what you want.
gnome-vfs is too flexible in some areas and not enough in others.

> 2)  We write a generic, abstract media player source that is then
> implemented by each media player, bypassing gnome-vfs and leaving all
> the code inside rhythmbox (or leaving them out as some kind of shared
> object file that users can then install for their specific media player).

3) Write a library with a specific API for accessing that music player,
along with any oddities it may have, and support using that library in a
specific Rhythmbox source.  That allows code reuse with any other music
players that want to handle a specific type of player without trying to
shoehorn an API into gnome-vfs's filesystem inteface.