Re: [Fwd: Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] automatic rating and weighted random]

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, David Dollar wrote:

> > Uh, I myself very much prefer Rhythmbox rating the songs higher that I
> > listen to, without having to do more work and pressing some "this song
> > is cool" button.
>
> What if you just leave it on in the background for some noise? Do you
> actively sit at Rhythmbox picking each song that will be played? Do you
> hit next every time you get to a song you don't like? What if you're
> just not in the mood for it now?

If I don't skip a song, it's good enough to be rated up. Songs I don't
skip should all be at 5 stars.
Yes, the only interaction with the system is pressing next when there's a
song that's so bad I don't wanna listen to it or pressing pause when I
want to stop playback.

> That's the thing, if you dont remember to stop playback under your
> model, you do irreversable damage to your carefully crafted ratings. If
> you forget to press the "this song is cool" button under my model, it
> just stays neutral.

I think here's the difference between us two. I don't have carefully
crafted ratings. This can be seen by the fact that I use a stupid AI that
rates songs for me. I don't even care about the rating. The only thing I
care about is that the next title the AI choses is one I don't skip.

And I think that requires the AI rating my stuff up at one point or
another.

Benjamin