[Fwd: Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] automatic rating and weighted random]

Forgot to cc list

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: David Dollar <david@grepninja.com>
To: Benjamin Otte <in7y118@public.uni-hamburg.de>
Subject: Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] automatic rating and weighted random
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:34:55 -0500

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 09:10, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, David Dollar wrote:
>
> > Perhaps we could make a keyboard shortcuts for "rate this song up" and "rate
> > this song down" ? We could then make Rhythmbox configurable as to whether or
> > not hitting next on a song counted as a rate-down, and whether or not
> > explicitly playing a song rates it up. I think those should be the only two
> > cases for the program making such a decision for you. This would work as long
> > as it were easy and convenient to rate a song without interrupting your work
> > flow in whatever you are _really_ doing with the computer :)
> >
> Uh, I myself very much prefer Rhythmbox rating the songs higher that I
> listen to, without having to do more work and pressing some "this song
> is cool" button.

What if you just leave it on in the background for some noise? Do you
actively sit at Rhythmbox picking each song that will be played? Do you
hit next every time you get to a song you don't like? What if you're
just not in the mood for it now?

> > You don't want half of your playlist getting rated up because you left it on
> > overnight and weren't there to hit next.
> >
> I prefer remembering once a day to stop playback than to remember hundreds
> of times a day to rate the current song up.

That's the thing, if you dont remember to stop playback under your
model, you do irreversable damage to your carefully crafted ratings. If
you forget to press the "this song is cool" button under my model, it
just stays neutral.

--
David Dollar                            Owner, Grepninja Systems
david@grepninja.com                            www.grepninja.com

GPG [DD0ABE82] 08EA 0674 6B5A 8FF2 0F99  0572 367F 8CB6 DD0A BE82

This is a digitally signed message part