[Rhythmbox-devel] automatic rating and weighted random

Hi,

One thing that popped into my head last night while explaining to a
friend about Rhythmbox's weighted-random playback is the potential
negative interaction between it and the autorating bits.

Let's say you start up Rhythmbox in weighted-random, viewing your whole
music collection (or just a large subset).  You let it play for a
while.  Those songs that were played increase in rating.  Now, you close
Rhythmbox and go home for the day.  The next morning, you start again in
the same way.  Now however, the songs that were played before are *more*
likely to be played again.  And when they are, this will increase their
rating, making them even more likely to be played again...  There's a
feedback cycle here.  I'm not sure how bad it is, or whether we should
even worry about it.

But maybe it would make sense to disable autorating when we're in
weighted-random playback?  Or maybe just disable the positive weighting
parts, and keep the negative rating when you skip, etc.

Thoughts?

This is a digitally signed message part