[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Rhythmbox Icecast Source

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 02:03, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi, this is David Holmes from #rhythmbox.  I built your rhythmbox tree
> successfully and it seems to work pretty well.  Just a couple of
> remarks:
>
> 1) Make sure autoconf is checking for libxml2, and for the right
> version.  It failed to compile on the version included in Fedora Core 1
> (although updating to 2.6.6 with yum fixed it). A libxml2 dependency
> shouldn't be a problem, but autoconf needs to check for it (it doesn't
> seem to check for any version at the moment?)

Hmm, I haven't looked at this, but libxml is used elsewhere throughout
Rhythmbox, I don't really have time to look at this until tonight,
any volunteers?

> 2) It segfaulted once, hasn't happened again.  Haven't looked into it
> yet, sorry. Might not be your code at all.

I haven't been able to make it segfault, if it happens again, let me
know, and we can try to root out the problem

> 3) With regards to the user interface, *SOMETHING* needs to be done
> about the genre browser... this is a tough one, since clearly the
> icecast sites do not enumerate their genres in any orderly manner ;P
> I'm wondering if maybe something like this would work: create a
> comprehensive list of genres, and attempt to match each site's genre
> with genres in the list. So for a site like CaliforniaSoul.org Radio,
> which has a genre string of "Rock,Folk,Soul", it would match it with the
> separate genres "Rock", "Folk", and "Soul" from the list. If it couldn't
> find any genre matches for a station, it could file them in "Other" or
> "Unknown" or something. Only the genres on the list for which stations
> were found would show up in the browser.

Right now, there's not much that can be done. Genre is a single string
for every entry in the RhythmDB. If you have any suggestions on how
to improve this, maybe we should all sit down in #rhythmbox and hash out
a solution?

> Just a thought. This is a tough question, perhaps you should ask on the
> mailing list or ask Colin before implementing anything?
>
> That's all I can think of at the moment, keep up the good work :)

I have a few comments of my own. I'm very new to Gnome/glib programming
and Linux in general (just over a week.) Can anyone take a look at the
icecast directory source and let me know how to better deal with
threading issues? Right now the display kind of hiccups while it's
downloading the icecast directory and updating it in the RhythmDB.

The icecast directory patch can be found on my tree as patch-10.
(patch-11 is a sync to mainline)

david@grepninja.com--2004
http://arch.grepninja.com
rhythmbox--main-0.7--patch-10

If anyone wants to take a look, comments are definitely welcome. Be
nice, however, I'm rather new to this stuff :)

> David Holmes
> dholmes@myrealbox.com

David Dollar
david@grepninja.com