Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] automatic rating and weighted random

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:47:33AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One thing that popped into my head last night while explaining to a
> friend about Rhythmbox's weighted-random playback is the potential
> negative interaction between it and the autorating bits.
>
> [...]
>
> But maybe it would make sense to disable autorating when we're in
> weighted-random playback?  Or maybe just disable the positive weighting
> parts, and keep the negative rating when you skip, etc.
>
> Thoughts?

I'd say it should only autorate in response to an explicit action by the
user.  If the user skips, decrease the rating.  If the user starts
playing a particular song, increase the rating.  But when the algorithm
decides what to play next, leave the ratings alone.

This sort of goes along with something I've been idly wondering about.
I often select a particular album in the Library and play it from
beginning to end.  Does this mean that autorating will tend to rate the
first track higher than the others, just because I double-clicked on it
to start playing and not the others?

Digital signature