Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] RFC: removable media

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 20:28, John McCutchan wrote:
> Right now in rhythmbox the handling of removable media is a pain.

Yeah.

> Hal can be used to get the device's serial number and partition number.
> Hal can also be used to notify rhythmbox when a device is inserted
> or removed.

Yeah; see the thread on this list titled "ipod support" - we discussed
this a bit there.

One thing I do think is that while we're doing this kind of open-heart
surgery on rhythmdb, we should try to refactor it to store directories
and songs, along the lines of what I talked about in "rhythmdb
postmortem".

> What about things file-systems like NFS?
> the physical location attribute could be the NFS address or some other
> unique identifier.

That seems kinda evil - you could be on two networks that both have NFS
servers whose IP address is something like 192.168.1.1.  I don't think
direct NFS support is as important as removable devices - it's much less
of an end-user type of thing.

This is a digitally signed message part